Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 9

0430 wake up, and still hurting. Today was the first day of formal PT (Physical Training) – it alternates everyday between running and strength training. Today was the run. I went out with my flight and formed up with them. The first thing the instructor announces is for anyone with a waiver or who can’t participate to fall in behind him. I did along with a few others, and we were sent to the on-campus clinic. The Sergeant who saw me was not allowed to prescribe anything serious – I wanted a medrol dose pack of steroids, but all he gave me was some Naproxen. He said to try that along with a week-long waiver from marching and exercising, and we’ll see how it goes.

I rejoined my flight for breakfast, after which the two WORST days of COT began. This is academic cram week. Our schedule for the next two days is NINE hours of lectures each day with a one hour break for lunch. 0800 until 1800. BORING…

But Tuesday was my flight leader day. I don’t recall a more stressful day in my entire life. I have to march everyone everywhere, and there is always an officer there, correcting EVERY mistake. The more nervous and anxious and uptight I got, the more I forget the proper verbiage and the more they yell and correct you. And if you give the wrong command, you will march your entire flight into the bushes. We watched someone do it! No joke!

I also have to run the classroom. When the Flt/CC walks in, I am at the front and yell, “Flight, Tench-hut!” Not “Class”; not “Room” – those are for DIFFERENT times. And I better get it right. The Flt/CC then walks up to the front, I “left face” to him, salute, and say, “SIR, Papa Flight is ready for inspection” – not “prepared for”… Then he gets up in my grill, looks me up and down, and says, “POST” – I turn to the front in a crisp “right face”, and he checks my back. All this time, the class (shaped in a U) is facing the walls. He then goes and inspects everyone’s front. As he turns the corner back to the front – and EXACTLY BEFORE he turns the corner – I say, “One pace foreword, MARCH!” – everyone takes a pace foreword and he inspects their backs. When he’s done, he says, “Be seated”. You sit, but at attention – until he says, “At ease.”

If I get one word, we do it again. Oy. After that class, each subsequent class begins the same, but without the inspection. And all of this with a spasming back. HATED the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment