Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Day 8

Uh oh.

Last night I went to bed with my back hurting a little bit. I figured I needed a good night’s rest. The flight decided that the optional 5K run, to be held this morning at 0500, would be mandatory for the whole flight (it would really good to the staff). They pounded on our door at 0445, and when I moved in bed I had a piercing pain shoot up from my lower back. I got out of bed slowly and it was SO painful. But I wasn’t going to let everyone down. It turnes out there is a girl in the flight who hurt her ankle, so we decided to sit it out and be there to cheer them on. When the runners came back, Major Haigh (our flight commander) who had run with them, asked me if I would say a prayer on behalf of Memorial Day. I had ten seconds to think. I said, “This country was not purchased with money, but with the blood of the brave men and women of the US Armed Forces who made the ultimate sacrifice to secure our freedom. Lord, may we always serve as a source of pride to their names and of dignity to their memories.”

We went to breakfast, and I was pretty miserable - there was no one to go see unless I went to the emergency room in Montgomery. I tried to relax as much as I could, I started taking lots of Advil, iced it, laid on my back, etc. Nothing really helped. That was how I spent Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment