Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 24

Welcome to Camp COT! 

Yesterday was the last REAL day of academics (we had to deliver our brief), and now it’s like Camp COT has begun. Basically, the rest of our stay here will be spent doing more “fun” activities (and Parade – more on that in minute), so let the FUN BEGIN!

We had a late wake up (0530) and we met in our flight room for a boxed breakfast. They wouldn’t give me a box, insisting that I have a kosher MRE (which was Beef Stew, or something). I planned ahead, bringing a South Beach bar, granola bars, small boxes of cereal – and coffee. MMmmm.

At 0700 we marched out to the parade field and were briefed about parade. As you have seen in numerous movies, the graduation concludes with a formal “parade.” The entire class (289) is formed up into squadrons of 45+. We are to march onto the field to a brass band, where we go through all the pomp and circumstances – flags, salutes, precision marching and turns, etc. They asked for volunteers for column leaders (those who stand in front of their line of troops – four columns per squadron) and of course, I shot my hand up. I want to SEE the action! I want to be in the front, not just another faceless airmen among a sea of airmen (how was THAT for a mixed metaphor!). We drilled for three hours – my back was killing me, but I loved it. It was just so cool – it was like every military movie I ever saw.

We got back to our flight room for a “class” on PCS (permanent change of station) – no one really cared as it will not be tested… We ate at 1100, and then marched a mile out to the Project X facility for the LRC (leadership reaction course – see yesterday’s post). And example of an LRC course is the one I lead, in which there was a large pool of water (60’ x 40’) with concrete pillars throughout. When we get there, we are told that it is a blown out bridge that we need to traverse, and all we have are three planks (two 8’ and one 5’). We have 20 minutes to formulate and execute a plan to get all six team members across the “river”. There are all sorts of penalties, like if anything drops in the water or touching the “banks” – for any penalty, everyone has to stop for 60 seconds. We are graded on delegation, execution… general leadership. While we failed the mission, I received very high scores for leadership (which is the primary goal) – but it would have been nice to win. On another one I was on, we did win, which felt awesome. We did this until 1730, and then marched back for dinner (in our sweaty gross clothes!).

I slept well.

No comments:

Post a Comment