Friday, June 10, 2011

Day Twenty Four, Twenty Five and Twenty Six

Shavuot was very nice. As previously reported, the program at Reb Hesh's house began at 1900 with a buffet dairy dinner. At 1930 the first round of classes - three in all - began, and the 30+ people split up. I went to Rabbi Soussan's class on the history of the Jewish Chaplaincy in the US military. At 2030, there was a another round of three classes - this time, I was one of the presenters - and I spoke on "Why a reasonable person should believe God gave the Torah at Mt Sinai" - an oldie but a goodie for me!

At 2130 we davened Maariv, and then most people left. Those that stayed washed and had dinner. After dinner I took a Gemarah and started learning by myself, but by 0030, I crashed.

Morning services were not until 1000. I woke up at 0800, had some coffee and read a little - I went to shul at 0900 to learn a little before services. Services went for 2 1/2 hours, an hour shorter than on Shabbos. I davened Shachris, and my Hallel was quite a hit. They asked me to do an encore the second day...

After services, there was a cheesecake and ice cream kiddush. We went home, had lunch, and guess what... I napped! The whole thing repeated itself the next day - and on Thursday night, my friend Jose picked me up.

Friday was another one of those days... we spent the morning doing Strengthsfinders, which is another Myers-Briggs-type personality assessment. After a two-hour lunch, we met with our small group leader - in my case, Ch Hamel - to go over our assessments, as well as discuss what we thought of the course so far.

This weekend I have a test to study for, but this program is running down QUICKLY!!! Two weeks from today and I'm home!

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment