Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day Thirty Three and Thirty Four

Test day! Got to class in the morning, and after davening, we settled in for the test. Thirty Three questions (on teh the 33rd day of the program!) with a passing grade of 70 required. The test was one everything we learned from the second week on. It was fairly written - I got a 91 (three wrong - one was TOTALLY my fault, as I rushed through the question and did not read it properly).

After the test, the Command Chaplain for the Air Force Reserve, Ch, Col Willis spoke to us about the role of the Reserves. When he was done, the Director of the National Guard Bureau, Ch, Col Les Hyder spoke to us as well. He was a big hit! He did a great job explaining the important and ever-changing role of the Guard - I, for one, was very proud.

Afterwards, each commander took their respective airmen to lunch. I, of course, went with Ch Hyder to the Officers' Club (I brought my own lunch) and we had a nice time, asking questions and spending quality time with him. He then called me up and said he rarely has the opportunity to do this and was excited to be able to do so. He then gave me a Jewish Chaplain's Kit - a battle bag that attached to one's web belt during combat - that contained some stereotypical "judaica items" - like a little Torah Scroll and a wine cup... It is pretty useless, but the thought and effort were touching. I may fill it with better stuff when I get back to my base... My Christian colleagues received their own bags, which contained a prayer shawl made of ABU (camo) material... nice!

Ch. Col Les Hyder and me. I look HUGE in this picture - I KNOW I am not that fat... If you look at the door and the pillar, you can see the picture is distorted... (Do I sound like I am protesting too much??)
After lunch we had a "bag drag" - we were told to pack our duffels according to a checklist we had, as if we were being deployed. The "bag drag" is when we schlep the bags into our classroom and unpack it all for inspection. After repacking, we officially began the field exercise that will take up most of our last week. Each of us was assigned a chaplain responsibility, and teamed with a Chaplain's Assistant (CA). We were assigned to "chalks" (groupings of troops for purposes of transportation) and then went to meet with the CAs. We had about an hour to start planning and programming with them, after which we were given our sleeping bags, web belts and canteens and ponchos. The trip begins on Sunday!

I went back to my room and got ready for Shabbos. One of my classmates, Tara Dixon, gave me a ride to the Coopers (where I was last Shabbos)...

Shabbos was great! I think everyone was tired Friday night - I know I was - and after dinner I crashed. Shabbos morning we went to shul to set up, and services went from 0900 to 1230, followed by Kiddush. After lunch back at the Coopers I took a 3.5 hour nap (!!!) and at about 1900 I got up and we hung out until Shabbos ended at 2121.

I came back to my room and prepared my service for Sunday morning - this time I hope I get up on time!! Anyway, after services tomorrow, we have to report with our packed bags at 1400 for transport to the camp site - i'll try to keep y'all posted...

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment