Friday, June 3, 2011

Day Eighteen

Boring day.

Let me begin by showing you the Jewish chapel in the joint Air Force/Navy facility (the Army, I believe, has their own).  

There is a Torah in the Ark

I am not sure I understand why there is a Judaica exhibit...
As you can see, it is fully outfitted, along with every item a Jew could ever need, on display. If you look at the picture above, on the left table is a washing cup, Challah board, cover and knife, candle sticks, and underneath a kiddush cup and reading Yad. On the middle table is a seder plate, a small shofar, and underneath two MORE candle sticks and another kiddush cup. On the table to the right is a LARGE shofar, a travel pack (has some interesting "field" items, like a shawl talis with no strings on the corner - just Velcro. In a separate bag are pre-made strings with Velcro at the end - you stick the strings to the end of the Talis and...voila!!). Underneath is a mixed-denominational selection of siddurs.

The highlight of the day was the end-of-the-day kickball game. Yeah, I said it. Kickball. I'll even put myself out there and say I stink at kickball. Always have. But our team made a glorious comeback in the last inning and we only lost by two (17-15) - it HAD been 9-2 at one point...



What are those tents in the background, you ask? And why are they in front of our school house? Well, tomorrow (Friday) is the Change of Command for the Navy Chaplain School. They are setting up in advance... I hope that works out for them, as they are expecting a tremendous storm tonight.

Okay, now it's night. And there is a tremendous storm. This may be the highest number of successive lightening strikes I have ever seen. We had a power outage for about a half-hour, and the wind is CRAZY!! I hope their tents are okay...

No comments:

Post a Comment