Monday, May 23, 2011

Day Seven





This morning I attended the Jewish service as an observer.  Part of my training is to teach me the military way of doing services. Obviously, one cannot run a full-blown Shacharis service when you have not only Jews from so many backgrounds, but – if this morning’s attendance is any indicator – many non-Jews, as well.

Chaplain Soussan picked me up at 9:25 for the 9:30 service. His son came along to accompany him on guitar.  We got there, set up the equipment, and he began. I must say, it was very impressive and I cannot wait for my turn!

There were about 25+ soldiers in attendance.  Sometimes there are more, sometimes less. It is held in a non-denominational chapel that is set up depending on who is using it. He began with some nice banter, followed by some basic Berachot (blessings) said mostly in English. He said the Shema, as well as blessings for the Unites States, the military, and Israel. He sang Esa Einai (Shlomo Carlebach’s version) as well as Kee M'Tzion (also Carlebach) when he took the Torah out (it was unrolled and carried around the chapel).  He gave a very nice Dvar Torah discussing our service to God – if it should be for reward or not, out of love or fear – and tied it to their service in the Army.
Chaplain Soussan addressing the service

When it was over (about an hour) we moved across the street where he had wine, triscuits and dried fruit. Not much of a Kiddush! The point is for people to be able to schmooze and talk with each other, as well as with the chaplain. Well, it turned out there were three NCO’s who  were prior Air Force and they couldn’t wait to talk to me. All they wanted to do was vent at how stupid they were to transfer from the Blue to the Green (Air Force to Army). They knew there was nothing I could do to fix their problems, but they felt good speaking to “one of their own.”

Afterwards, I worked out for an hour and half, took my SECOND shower of the day, and got the van keys for my afternoon outing. I went to Reb Hesh’s to see if he needed anything; he told me to go do my shopping and meet him at the park to help set up for the Lag B’Omer barbeque. I went to Walmart and bought a griddle and a decent pillow, and went to the Mikvah to “toivel” the pan. I then went to the park, helped set up, and had a very nice time- with the community. They are all very sweet people.

John barbequing
Baruch, Rabbi Hesh, and John - what is it about grilling that men feel the need to watch?
Gathering around the buffet - it was 95 degrees out there...
It was time to check out the Piggly Wiggly – I was SO excited! However, it turned out they had less frozen foods than Publix. What they DID have was kosher dairy products – I brought some shredded cheese to add to my eggs!  

I just finished folding my laundry and I am ready for bed – after I take my THIRD shower of the day. Did I mention it was 95 degrees today in Columbia?

No comments:

Post a Comment