Monday, August 9, 2010

Day 30

Thirtieth Day:

I wanted to be up by 0430 so I would have time to eat, daven and be ready to help “shlep” water to the activity sites by 0525 – activities began at 0545.  But I didn’t have an alarm clock.  I have an analog, unlit watch. So one of my flightmates assured me he would set his watch for 0430.  I heard an alarm go off, and knowing how critical every minute was, I quickly sat up and started groping in the dark for all my things – I needed to dress, get my toiletries, etc.  And I didn’t want to wake up those who were still sleeping. I did an incredible job. I had laid things out well the night before, and within three minutes I was dressed and standing outside of my tent. Where I looked at my watch, which read 0103.  It was the chime on his watch that I heard. Grrrrr.

His alarm did go off, but at 0445. I was in a rush, and I had to get to the latrine to perform my morning ablutions. We had been warned about the “Battle Buddy” system, wherein no one is to go about alone. But no one from my flight was ready to go. I figured, “Last week – who cares?” I got 50 feet when the Officer On Duty turned the corner and caught me! “Why are you walking alone? Did you not hear us say over and over again…” Whatever.

This picture does not do it justice AT ALL! The tower is 45 feet high...
Ready to climb
I davened, ate, and proceeded to the ropes course.  This may have been one of the greatest experiences of my life. The course consisted of two parts; the tower, and the course. The tower was a 45 foot high wooden tower, with a rock-climbing wall on one side, and a rappelling rope on the other. On top was a platform, with two logs jutting out (45 feet above ground). You would climb the one side, come down, then go up the inside of the tower to the top, walk out on the logs for about 15 feet and then back, and then rappel down the side. I have rock-climbed before (indoors) and I thought this would be a breeze.  However, I am older.  About 10 feet up I pulled a groin muscle and had to come down. I was so depressed – once again, I found myself unable to do something because of physical limitations.

Epic fail...
 I went up the tower and waited for my turn. It looked so easy to walk out in that log… until it was my turn to walk out in the log! Obviously, there was a safety wire above to which we were attached – but that means little when you are walking over little ants that you know are people WAY down there! 

The pole - no, that's not me, but I DID IT!!
But I did it… and it was amazing! I rappelled down… and decided I was not going to let that rock wall beat me. I walked back around and asked if I could try again.  This time I stretched out well, and then did it. So THERE, you wall!
DID IT!
 There is no way to adequately describe the ropes course and do it justice. There was a “shimmy across on one rope” part, a “shimmy across on two ropes” part, walk up a single wire bridge (at this point you are 35+ feet up), cross a wire leaning FOREWORD on a rope, then doing the same thing with the ropes switching in the middle, then crossing a wooden bridge with 3-foot gaps between each slat, then hanging and shimmying upside down like a sloth across a rope bridge, then swinging down a rope on to a cargo net, and climbing up to the platform from where you ride the zip line back to the ground. I would do it all day every day if I could.  I can’t believe they paid us to do this.
Crossing the wire - you have no idea how much those ropes and wires moved!
The bridge - no hands allowed
Waiting to zip down - as I went down, I yelled, "Who's your daddy??"
 
That afternoon, we were supposed to do “Litter Obstacle Course” - the idea is to negotiate the obstacle course (yes, the one I didn’t do two weeks earlier because of my back) but with a team of four people carrying a stretcher. That means climbing over and under obstacles without allowing the “patient” to fall.  However, much to our chagrin (NOT!) it was decided that, due to the ridiculous heat, it was unsafe to do something that strenuous.  Rather, we learned all the carry techniques under a large covered area in the shade. Aw, shucks!

It was SO hot waiting for dinner - I threw up a sunshade using my poncho, and my roommate Lt Bruce Coombs and I "chilled" (it was close to 100 degrees) 
When it was done, everyone was marginally excited at the fact they would have a hot meal.  The food service people came with food from the DFAC and set up a chow line in the “DFAC Tent” and they all got a non-MRE meal. All, that is, except for me! Once again, it was “My Own Meals” for Friedman… Shower, and in bed by 2030…

No comments:

Post a Comment